The second stage in getting your project up and running is Courses. Courses include any orientation or induction materials you will want the worker to be presented with prior to coming on-site. Every course will include a final quiz to ensure all workers have taken the orientation process seriously and understand the rules and best practices of the work site as well as your company standards.
Some key things to keep in mind when building your first course are:
- You should have already set up your project structure for this course in the Part 1 Project worker groups video.
- GoContractor supports Powerpoint, Self-hosted Videos (YouTube or Vimeo), text, and links to external resources. Be sure that all of your external links and videos are publicly available so that workers do not run into issues accessing them.
- Make sure you have proofread and made any updates to your powerpoints before uploading them as you will not be able to edit them in GoContractor.
- We recommend previewing the course in full to estimate the time it will take to complete the course in full so that it's a reasonable amount of time.
- If you are using the text to speech, this will require a review of the text and the audio that is generated from it before activating the course to ensure the pronunciation and voice are understandable.
In the example below, we have set up a demo company and safety orientation to show you how we recommend getting started with the course creation.
Creating your Course
- By now you should have a project for this course already set up under Settings -> Worker Groups.
- Click Settings -> Courses
- Click the + Course on the right side to generate a template to get started.
- The Course settings to consider are:
- Course Valid Period: This indicates how long the course content is valid for before the worker will become unqualified for the worksite and have to take the course again.
- Identity Capture: This allows admins to review completed courses to ensure the person who took the course is the same person coming to the job site.
- Slide Delay: This indicates what type of delays will be in place so workers can not simply skip to the end of the course without reviewing the content.
- Text-To-Speech: If you uploaded a PowerPoint this allows you to pull down all the text in the presentation and make it available for audio playback during each slide.
- You can now choose to:
- Upload a PowerPoint: Be sure that your PowerPoint does not have any special videos or animations as these features will not work and may cause failed uploads. If customizations to the display of the PowerPoint are needed in the browser you will need to delete and re-upload the PowerPoint. *This will replace any changes and modifications to text and text-to-speech edits.
Example Deck is attached to this article.
- Add Chapters: You may upload a single presentation that you want to split into sections similar to that in PowerPower. This option allows you to create and drag slides to chapter sections. You can also set feedback or questions at the end of each chapter to check user understanding. These tests are not part of the overall final quiz score.
- Finally, you want to add a Final Quiz
- A Final quiz is required at the end of every course. *We recommend no more than 5-10 questions based on your course. We also suggest not making the quiz extremely difficult as this will require the user to take the course and the quiz again "in full" if they fail.
- Users will be told how many questions they failed but they will not be told which ones.
- Click the Save button at the top or bottom of the screen after each edit.
- This will automatically create a draft for you to come back to later.
- You can activate this course now or wait till you have all the content you need for the course.
Part 3: Create a User Qualification